Wednesday 19 March 2008

Marley In Manchester - Day Two

More photos from my weekend trip to Manchester. I hope you don't mind seeing them, normal service will resume on Friday.

This post box was one of the few things left standing after the IRA bombing that destroyed much of the City centre in 1996. It now has a plaque marking its miraculous survival.

The Arndale shopping centre, also destroyed in the bomb blast, now rebuilt.

A statue over the doorway to one of the City's designer shops.

The entrance to Manchester's colourful China Town.

One of the canals running through the City. Although there are lots of new buildings going up there are still plenty of derelict ones.

Tomorrow will be my last day of Manchester photos. If you look closely at the Arndale photo above you can make out the reflection of the Manchester Wheel. More on that tomorrow!

9 comments:

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

Oh, Marley, please don't quit making these series! They are great. If you start your own London 'hoods series I'll become a season ticket holder! 8D

Love the post box and the Chinatown gate.

brian stout said...

very nice collection of photos! I agree with fenix, i like this post office box - very different than ours in the states... the chinatown entrance reminds me of china town in new york. i see the wheel, and look forward to seeing tomorrow's post!

MJ said...

Hi marley, nice photos of Manchester. What is your favourite place in the city?

Chuck Pefley said...

I'm sure the Royal Mail is pleased to know their letterboxes are so solid -:)

Looks like Chinatown is quite a large community ...

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I have a photo somewhere of that post box amongst all the wreckage - not sure where the original is - I used a version of it as the cover of my 1999 collection Limbo Time.

Anonymous said...

This is a nice, informative, post. I enjoyed reading it and looking at the pictures. It is interesting the postal box is red. Our's are blue.

Abraham Lincoln, Brookville, Ohio

Lori said...

I love your Manchester series. There is so much to see there. It must have been fun to explore the city!

Neva said...

I love your Manchester series...I certainly enjoyed posting San Francisco and I don't live there either! I did not recognize your mailbox as a mailbox...amazing how we get used to what we know in our own country.

Ming the Merciless said...

Cool photos from Manchester.

My favorite is the last one, of the canal. IT looks deserted yet so enticing.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin