Sunday 23 March 2008

Egg-cited About Easter

I'm not a religious person so Easter for me is about chocolate eggs and a nice roast dinner. The photo today is from the window display of Cavendish House (department store) on the Promenade. I'm hoping to get a nice big chocolate egg, like the one shown! (hint, hint!)

Here are five egg-traordinary facts about Easter Eggs -

1. The egg is recognised as a symbol for resurrection, first used in Ancient Egyptian times.
2. The first chocolate Easter Egg was made in 1873 by Fry's.
3. Around 80 million Easter Eggs are purchased in the UK.
4. The most popular Easter Egg is Cadbury's Creme Egg, with 300 million produced worldwide each year.
5. The UK spends £500 million on Easter Eggs every year.

Happy Easter everyone!

7 comments:

Kate said...

Happy Easter to you, too. Great photo, and I'll take one of those chocolate eggs, too.

brian stout said...

Happy Easter, I'd love one of those eggs also... i'm lucky enough to still get little easter baskets from my mom, filled with chocolates. =)

Ming the Merciless said...

Like you, I love Easter for the chocolates and pot roast. But it also signifies the arrival of Spring and flowers blooming.

No more chocolates for me though. I had too much from my birthday. I got so much chocolates that it took me two months to eat them all.

Chuck Pefley said...

Aw, poor Ming -:) What a sad story about too much chocolate. I didn't know there was such a thing was possible.

I'm with you on the pot roast and chocolate (eggs if need be) very dark, please.

Great post egg-fact -:) Buon appetite!

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

Happy chocolate and roast day to you too! :)

There are a couple of Lindt bunnies here waiting to be devoured.

Janet said...

We had roast for Easter dinner today and chicken salad. Happy Easter to you.

Neva said...

From my non religious daughter...although she is VERY spiritual.....another amazing fact about eggs and bunnies.....dating back to pagan history you understand....eggs and rabbits were a sign of fertility and that is why they are associated with Easter (spring). just so you know......and I love your display!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin