Monday 31 March 2008

Book Borrowing

Cheltenham Library is an impressive building and I've had several photos of the place for a while now. I've been trying to find out a bit of the buildings history before posting the photos but I seem to have drawn a blank. I'll tell you what I know.

The permanent building, at the junction of Clarence Street and St Georges Place, replaced the temporary Free Library on the High Street. The Free Library opened in October 1884 and three years later the foundation stone of the current library was being laid. The new Library was designed by William Henry Knight and was opened on 24th April 1889. It boasts columns, balustrades, carvings, statues and a tower. The Library is attached to the Art Gallery and Museum, part of which is in the Library building.

Below is a photograph from the opening of the Library in 1889.
The other photos I've taken show more of the buildings detail. I'll post these when I find out more of the Library's history!

8 comments:

Neva said...

This is great with the opening one and the later one. I like them both....even if you can't find out any more info!!

Ioanna said...

Very impressive building indeed! :)

magiceye said...

impressive indeed!
thank you for the detailsed info too..

Chuck Pefley said...

Doesn't look like much has changed on the outside except how people dress. -:)

Lori said...

What a spectacular building, almost like a castle. You are lucky to be able to enjoy such beautiful architecture.

slim said...

Very impressive, Marley, and close to my heart. I would like to get lost in those stacks for a few days ;)
I'll look forward to the upcoming postings. Thanks.

brian stout said...

I LOVE this post, Marley. I love being able to see the before and after shots like this, very cool!

Just Roaming The Cities said...

I really like this building. Looks like it cold stand quite a bit of weather.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin