Monday 18 February 2008

Towering Above

As a follow up to last weeks photo of the gold eagle at the base of Eagle Tower here is the building itself. Its Cheltenhams tallest building at 161 feet and was opened in October 1968. The tower was first used by Eagle Star Insurance and is now rented out floor by floor to several different companies. The tower is a fine example of how not to build a 60's office block! By many in the town it is seen as an eyesore but, although its not attractive, I like it. I suppose I like it because its always been there and Cheltenham would look odd without it (you can see it from all sorts of different places in and around town). Several members of my family worked there when it was Eagle Star and, on the occasional Saturday morning, when I was a little boy, I used to go to 'work' there with my Dad!

5 comments:

Janet said...

Sounds like it holds many memories for you.

edwin s said...

it's always great to revisit the 'old' familiar places. I remember posting a shot of my dad's office building sometime last year. I used to go with him too. I was a child then so I didn't have 'work' to do.

Anonymous said...

Interesting angle for the photo . I like it.

Rob said...

Not a bad building, maybe too modern for your town, but at least it's not a big glass box. Lots of memoties there, I'm betting

Lori said...

I like it too. But then I always tend to like big buildings. This one has a certain symmetry to it and I like your photo of it. I like the new picture of your kitty too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin