Wednesday 19 August 2009

Banksy Animatronics

As I mentioned yesterday, we went to Bristol for my birthday to see something very cool - the Banksy Exhibition! The exhibit of over 100 pieces of the mystery artist's work is taking place at the Bristol Museum until the end of the month. The event is free and the museum, unsurprisingly, has seen record numbers of visitors. We joined the queue at 10 am and three and a half hours later we were finally through the door! But it was well worth the wait.

Little is known about the elusive artist known only as Banksy. It is believed he was born in 1974 in the Bristol area, where his notoriety began to grow due to his skillful graffiti and stencil work that started to appear around the city in the late 1980's. Since these early days he has gone on to become an internationally renowned artist, with his creations springing up in London, New York and New Orleans to name but a few locations.

His exhibit brings together his art work, sculptures, installations and animatronics, all of which are very cleverly conceived and thought provoking through their humorous nature. Today I'll show you some of his animatronics. Below are some of my favourites, though there were many more that I could have shared.







"We can’t do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles. In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves."
Banksy
_

8 comments:

brian stout said...

very cool series!! such a long wait in line though!

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a good birthday treat with all these surreal exhibits. Who would have thought to wonder what Tweety Pie would look like when he gets older.

Hilda said...

I never thought I'd ever see Tweety growing old! And Miss Bunny reminds me of a few women I know.

These are quite strange but totally fascinating! I hope you'll be showing us his other works using different media.

And who's the cat in your new avatar? Love cat's eyes.

Unknown said...

I would love to see the exhibition! So very cool!
Belate congratulations on your birthday, Marley! :-)

Ken Mac said...

surreal...

Neva said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a great time and I love the rabbit!

Mo said...

Glad you had a great birthday. I remember last year you got a tripod. Did you get more camera gear this year? I love Banksy's work. However I fing it interesting that while he slings off at the rich he still sells some of his work for thousands. His pieces hang in the jolie/pitt household.

Tash said...

funny bunny!
even better than the dynamite rabbit in "search for the holy grail"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin