Tuesday 24 March 2009

On The Edge

Its amazing what you find on your way to the library. All these little white plastic men were lined up in the window of the Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum. The background was black so the window perfectly reflected St Matthews Church, opposite the museum. I've added to the art!

The installation is entitled On The Edge and was created by Swedish born artist Charlotte Jonerheim. She is one of 40 artists selected to exhibit in The Open West, a competition for contemporary arts. Submissions include film, painting, drawing and sculpture. Just seven of the entrants were selected to show their work at the Art Gallery & Museum, with all exhibiting at the Pitville Campus of the University of Gloucestershire. Over 2300 works were submitted by 380 UK and international artists. The exhibition runs until the end of the month.
Jonerheim says "Exploring detail is what often begins the process. I am not interested in an object per se, my fascination lies in its multiplication - in tens, hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands! An important aspect of my practice is the way I assemble my work. Grids, patterns and structure play an important role in transforming apparently insignificant objects into an entity in their own right which then attains its own object sense.My work is obsessive and time consuming, however I find a great sense of calm in repetition. My concerns also lie in the surface of my work. This can be manipulated by placing a small object in a specific order thereby creating an unexpected result."
_

13 comments:

Jane Hards Photography said...

OMG! I am so glad I am viewing this on a sober night I may have put the bottle down for good otherwise. What a keen artistic/photographer's eye you have developed fo the absurd. Hats of to you ya. Outstanding and a new favourite.

Rob said...

Wow, what an interesting art piece. And perfect alignment with the reflection in the window.

Tash said...

the 1st shot is really excellent. I like seeing the little men close up & can I say it - I like the installment(?).

Saretta said...

The little guys are interesting, but it's your capture of the reflection that makes it a fascinating scene!

magiceye said...

brilliant catch sir!
absolutely superb!

Babzy.B said...

Very interesting ! i like the first one with the reflection , bright idea !

Pat said...

This is great! What a wonderful shot.

brian stout said...

i love that first photo! beautiful!

Hilda said...

I don't quite know what to make of the little plastic men, but I do like your first photo. Brilliant!

I think you'd appreciate the man on my blog today ;)

Janet said...

Very cool photo, Marley!

Unknown said...

This is just fantastic! What a terrific composition, love it! Well done!

Anonymous said...

That top picture with the reflection is absolutely outstanding Marley :D

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, superb, fantastic. The first photo is the one for me. Love the juxtaposition of the church and the figures. I love this type of art and you have captured it superbly

Blog Widget by LinkWithin